2 3 Technical Tuesday Jaw | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Technical Tuesday Jaw



Technical Tuesday Jaw

The hardest bone in the human body is the jawbone (mandible). It is the largest bone in the human face, and is very difficult to break. I’m sure any male dancer who ever got hit by a flying elbow can appreciate this fact. Ow!

The word mandible comes from the Latin mandibula (jawbone) which means “'one used for chewing”.

The phrase “take it on the chin” comes from boxing, and refers to a direct and/or significant hit to the jaw. Perhaps this expression came to be used since this bone was less apt to break from such a hit.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #26jj:

“The hardest bone in the human body is the jawbone.”

 

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Nobody would say, 'I'm voting for this guy because he's got the stronger chin, but that, in fact, is partly what happens.”


                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:



No comments:

Post a Comment