2 3 Fun Friday Belly Button Devant | Ballet Webb

Friday, May 5, 2017

Fun Friday Belly Button Devant






Fun Friday Belly Button Devant

When beginning dancers first learn the positions of the feet and the directions in which the feet and legs must go, it can be confusing. For young children in particular, (but also for adult beginners) sometimes the French terms – so easy for us – are baffling to them.

Take the word “devant”. It seems straightforward enough (pun intended). But I have discovered that if, with a wink, I substitute the word “belly button” for “devant” students grasp the concept immediately. Croisé belly button, grand battement belly button, développé belly button – you get the idea. Afterwards, I go back to using the correct term, devant, and the students smile and laugh as if they know a secret – and they do!

This slight substitution allows the students to understand that the foot or leg must be aligned directly in front of their belly button. (Later, I introduce the concept of ecarté devant as one exception).

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
Ballet Secret #5i:
“Substitute the words “belly button” for devant.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Respect other people's feelings. It might mean nothing to you, but it could mean everything to them.”
Roy T. Bennett

            Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are two coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

No comments:

Post a Comment