2 3 Sunday Chapters | Ballet Webb

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Sunday Chapters



Sunday Chapters

Dancers are interesting. We are perfectionists who tend to obsess over things. That’s probably part of what drives us, and drive is a good thing.

But when we start replaying the day and all its negatives over and over in our mind, it is no longer productive. And this is hard to change because we want so badly to  improve. We are constantly analyzing: how can I do this better? What did I do wrong? Am I being too lazy, too aggressive, too fill-in-the-blank… It’s called rumination and it is like rereading a chapter over and over and never finishing the book. 

The first step in stopping this cycle is simply recognizing it. The next is to find ways to focus your overactive mind on more positive things – any unrelated activity you enjoy, listening to music, watching an uplifting movie, or going for a walk in nature. I find nature to be very restorative and grounding.

Most of all, I believe this chapter rereading is not unusual in dancers. It isn’t productive, but it isn’t unusual.

Now, go for a walk outside.


From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Motivational Secret #128:
“You can’t start a new chapter if you keep rereading the last one.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“You become what you think about all day long.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment