2 3 Terminology Tuesday Lyre | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Terminology Tuesday Lyre



Terminology Tuesday Lyre

Last week I talked about bras en couronne which means arms in the shape of a crown. Today’s it is bras en lyre [brah zahn leer] which, not surprisingly, means arms in the shape of a lyre.

What’s a lyre? It’s a small, stringed musical instrument that looks like a U-shaped harp. It is most commonly associated with ancient Greece. See Link of the Day at 3:07.

In bras en lyre the arms are overhead in fifth en haut but the hands overlap, one above the other.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #6nnn:
“Bras en lyre means arms in the shape of a lyre.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Then Nature shaped a poet's heart a lyre From out whose chords the lightest breeze that blows Drew trembling music.”

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment