2 3 Terminology Tuesday Forty-Five | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Terminology Tuesday Forty-Five



Terminology Tuesday Forty-Five

I was recently perusing Gail Grant’s indispensible book Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet (what ballet nerds do for fun), and discovered page after page of different sissones. Whew!

We all know the standard sissone. See Ballet Secret # 15mm: The step sissonne was named for the originator of the step; and is pronounced see-SAWN. But who would have guessed that there are more than forty-five variations!

I’m not going to list them all, but many of them will be familiar, such as sissone battue (a beaten sissone), or sissone à la seconde (a sissone to the second position). Others are less familiar, such as sissone subresaut (a term of the Russian school) which is the same as temps de poisson.

If you’d like to see all the sissones listed, here is a link to Gail Grant’s book: https://archive.org/stream/GailGrantBalletDictionary/Gail%20grant%20ballet%20dictionary_djvu.txt
Or, you can purchase your own copy. It’s a very handy book to have around.



From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #30n:
“There are more than forty-five sissones.”

Link of the Day:


Quote of the Day:
“I gave up many times but I never quit.”
― Ken Poirot

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment