2 3 Superstitious Saturday Shoes | Ballet Webb

Saturday, November 24, 2018

Superstitious Saturday Shoes



Superstitious Saturday Shoes

Here’s a superstition I never encountered. Perhaps it does not apply to dancers?

Apparently, putting shoes on a dressing room table will bring bad luck. Hmmm. Almost every dancer I know lines up their pointe shoes on their dressing table, often in order of use. It never caused any bad luck that I know of…

Then again, in the world of the theater, actors probably have bigger shoes, or boots or something similar that would make the top of the table crowded, to say the least, so maybe that has something to do with it.

This superstition may go back to the belief in the UK that putting new shoes on a table symbolises death of a family member. Or, here’s another reason from https://relo.wordpress.com/2007/07/11/superstition-and-shoes/:
Shoes placed on a table are thought to be a bad omen and either a quarrel in the house, or a storm of thunder and lightening will come.”

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Superstition #147:
“Shoes on a dressing-room table will bring bad luck.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“It doesn't matter how great your shoes are if you don't accomplish anything in them.”
― Martina Boone, Compulsion

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment