2 3 Fun Friday Slouch and Slice | Ballet Webb

Friday, December 16, 2016

Fun Friday Slouch and Slice




Fun Friday Slouch and Slice

The action of a dégagé is sharp and clean, and it should slice through the air like a knife. When moving en croix there must never be any rounded corners, and each dégagé must move in an angular – not circular - pathway. I have blogged about this before.

However, if a dancer sinks or slouches during an exercise, then the working foot can no longer come in and out of fifth cleanly – if at all. It gets stuck. Often third position is as good as it gets. Gasp!

Therefore, dancers must avoid slouching, sinking, drooping, sagging or dropping in their posture, or the slicing action of a dégagé will be thoroughly and completely compromised.

Don't slouch, slice!

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
Ballet Secret #4x:  
“Slouching prevents the correct slicing action of a dégagé.”

                Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
Groucho Marx

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest book is a coloring book! It is available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

No comments:

Post a Comment