2 3 Superstitious Saturday Knock | Ballet Webb

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Superstitious Saturday Knock



Superstitious Saturday Knock

A ritual I’ve seen many times prior to a performance is a dancer leaning down to knock on the floor. This is related to the common superstition that knocking on wood brings good luck.

This superstition may go back to medieval times when parishioners would touch wood believed to come from the cross to ensure a divine connection and thus, good luck.

Or, it may come from an even earlier time when ancient Europeans believed that trees housed spirits. Therefore touching or knocking on a tree would either invoke a blessing from the spirit within or prevent an evil spirit from doing harm.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Superstition #153:
“Knocking on wood (usually the floor) is said to bring good luck to dancers.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“My,' she said. 'We're lucky that you found the place.'
We're always lucky,' I said and like a fool I did not knock on wood. There was wood everywhere in that apartment to knock on too.”
― Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment