2 3 Fun Friday Memory Foam | Ballet Webb

Friday, October 14, 2016

Fun Friday Memory Foam



Fun Friday Memory Foam

I’ve written several blogs about the ballet barre and how it should best be utilized. Just search for “barre” and you’ll find them.

Today I’m talking about how to hold the barre. No death grips, please. In fact, many studios are now replacing their round barres with flatter ones so the dancer’s hand rests on top and it isn’t possible to grab it with the thumb underneath. I’ve often thought the problem many dancers have with thumbs sticking out during port de bras comes directly from their hold on the barre.

If you still have round barres (and most of us do), imagine it is made out of memory foam. You know, that stuff that leaves a deep impression when you press your hand into it. If the barre left such imprints, dancers would be more aware of those moments when they are gripping the barre instead of gently holding it.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
Ballet Secret #22ccc:  
“Imagine the barre is made out of memory foam.”

                Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Memory is more indelible than ink.”
Anita Loos

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the link of the day. What an amazing dancer. I can see what you are talking about with the separation in his hands, how they are kind of cupped into a C-shape at moments in his performance. That really helped me imagine the grip. I know I need softer hands and this really helped me think about that grip I make on the barre while in class. Thank you for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I'm glad it was helpful.

    ReplyDelete