2 3 Throwback Thursday and Bunny Briggs | Ballet Webb

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Throwback Thursday and Bunny Briggs


Throwback Thursday and Bunny Briggs

Beginning on the streets of Harlem as a young boy, Bunny Briggs showed his dance talent early. He was known for the speed of his footwork as well as being skilled as a musician. He died in 1914 at the age of 92. This early prodigy went on to be a great performer and a mentor to others.

He appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, on and off Broadway and at the Newport Jazz Festival. He was also an accomplished musician who appeared in the 1989 Broadway musical “Black and Blue” (for which he was nominated for a Tony Award). He performed with Count Basie, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Lionel Hampton and Duke Ellington. Duke Ellington once described Mr. Briggs as “the most superleviathonic, rhythmaturgically syncopated tapsthamaticianisamist”.

Constance Valis Hill, a tap historian, wrote in her book “Tap Dancing America: A Cultural History,” “Bunny Briggs broke new ground for modern tap dancing on the concert stage.”

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #186:
“Bunny Briggs was a tap dancer and musician”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
Douglas Adams

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:




No comments:

Post a Comment