2 3 Mad Monday Upside Down Beats | Ballet Webb

Monday, October 30, 2017

Mad Monday Upside Down Beats


Mad Monday Upside Down Beats

When dancers begin learning beats, the side to side action necessary is difficult. It is not only difficult to learn, it is difficult to teach.

Begin by having the students lie on the floor with their legs up, feet in fifth position pointing to the ceiling. Now have them open and close their legs, making sure to move the feet and legs side to side when opening and closing in fifth. Students will see what is needed right away.

Then have them try it standing back up, in the center. I have found that having students jump from second, beat in fifth and land back in second is a good way for them to feel the crossing of the thighs and the feet. The second position can then be made smaller and smaller until the dancers can beat from fifth.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #15ddd:
“Lie on the floor with your legs up to practice beats.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“When I hang upside down and write the wrong way up, will my letters be upside down or the right way up?”
Anthony T Hincks

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:




No comments:

Post a Comment