2 3 Saturday Shrugging Statute | Ballet Webb

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Saturday Shrugging Statute


Saturday Shrugging Statute

There is no shrugging in ballet. By this I mean the type of shrugging that indicates “attitude” or a lack of concern. Shrugging also causes the shoulders to warm the ears, creating the dreaded turtleneck look.

Shrugging can telegraph many things, and usually they aren’t good or necessary. If a shrug means simply “I don’t know”, then it is usually better to say it - or at least have the facial expression accompanying it that makes clear that the communication is that simple, without any rolling of the eyes or other body language that adds a negative component.

And always avoid the dreaded “tongue click and sigh”, especially if it is added to a shrug.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Ballet Statute #96:
There is no shrugging in ballet.

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“People tend to complicate their own lives, as if living weren't already complicated enough.”
Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:




No comments:

Post a Comment