2 3 Throwback Thursday and Doris Eaton Travis | Ballet Webb

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Throwback Thursday and Doris Eaton Travis



Throwback Thursday and Doris Eaton Travis

Born on March 14, 1904 in Norfolk City Virginia, Doris Easton Travis was the last of the Ziegfeld girls. She lied about her age and was selected as a Ziegfeld girl at the age of 14. She had been part of a family of entertainers known as the “seven little Eatons” where family friends included such notables as George Gershwin and Charles Lindbergh.

After three years as a Ziegfeld girl, she went on to perform in stage productions and in silent films. In 1938 she opened the first Arthur Murray dance studio outside of New York in Detroit, Michigan.

It seems she never stopped dancing. Two weeks before she died she appeared in the annual Easter Bonnet Competition held by Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. She performed a few kicks and apologized that she could no longer do cartwheels.

She died on May 11, 2010, and is buried in the Guardian Angel Cemetery in Rochester, Michigan. She was 106 years old.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Dance History Secret #250:
“Doris Eaton Travis was the last of the Ziegfeld girls.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Florenz Ziegfeld, to us and our family, was just a delightful person. My sisters, Mary and Pearl, my brother Charlie and I all worked for him, and he treated us just beautifully, almost like a father. When I went with my mother up to his office, he was always gentlemanly and kindly. He was sort of a quiet person.”
-         Doris Eaton Travis

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment