2 3 Technical Tuesday Ailes de Pigeon | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Technical Tuesday Ailes de Pigeon



Technical Tuesday Ailes de Pigeon

Here is a term you may not have heard, although you probably know the step. Here is the definition from Gail Grant’s Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet:

“Ailes de pigeon [el duh pee-ZHAWN]. Pigeon’s wings. The dancer
performs a cabriole devant, then the legs change and beat again, then change
once more before the dancer lands on the leg he or she jumped from, leaving
the other leg extended in the air. Also known as pistolet.”

Can you tell from the defintion what step this is? It’s commonly called brisé volé and is famously seen in the coda of Bluebird pas de deux in Sleeping Beauty (see  Link of the Day below).


From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Terminology Secret #30h:
“Ailes de pigeon means pigeon wings.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“They've moved me to a new office and I don't like it at all. Different pigeons come to the window.”
― Barbara Pym, Excellent Women

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment