2 3 Saturday Empty House | Ballet Webb

Saturday, September 29, 2018

Saturday Empty House



Saturday Empty House

This theatrical superstition is one that I suspect isn’t followed in the dance world. It is said that bowing to an empty house is bad luck, but dancers (in my experience) always rehearse their bows, especially when it involves a large group. I have never known it to bring bad luck.

Presumably, this superstition comes from the idea that a show is not complete without the audience, or perhaps because bowing assumes a good show with audience appreciation, and therefore invites misfortune (pride goeth before a fall).

Of course, in most dance rehearsals the house is never actually empty. The director and/or choreographer (and probably others) are undoubtedly occupying a few seats.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Superstition #140:
“Bowing to an empty house is said to be bad luck.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“You have to bow to reach the top.”
― Ljupka Cvetanova, The New Land

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment