2 3 Mad Monday Ceiling | Ballet Webb

Monday, February 5, 2018

Mad Monday Ceiling



Mad Monday Ceiling

We are starting the week off with yet another postural image! Wow!

Dancers are so often told to “pull up”, that this phrase loses its meaning – if indeed, it ever really had a comprehensible meaning. When I ask my students what this phrase means, I get a multitude of answers.

Basically, the body should fall into a relatively natural alignment, without arching the back, tipping or tucking the pelvis, etc. These things (and more) I’ve discussed in previous blogs.

Today imagine that your head (or hair) is attached (comfortably) to the ceiling. Your body is therefore suspended, hanging with gravity into a lengthened, straight posture. It is pretty much what you want to do when you “pull up”, only in this image the pull is down. The only difference in a normal, standing balletic posture is that the body’s weight is placed slightly forward from the ankles – something that may not happen when hanging by the hair.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #1ppp:
“Imagine hanging from the ceiling.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“At the very moment when people underestimate you is when you can make a breakthrough.”
                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment