2 3 Fun Friday Formula for Beats | Ballet Webb

Friday, January 6, 2017

Fun Friday Formula for Beats







Fun Friday Formula for Beats

You will remember Ballet Secret #15dd: All beats involve both legs and have a rebound. Today I’m talking about how all beats follow a formula. Other steps do too, and I’ve done blogs before about formulas and how useful they are for dancers.

Beats must follow an angular, not circular, path, and in order to beat effectively, the legs must open slightly before the beat occurs. It’s the same principle as clapping your hands: you can’t clap hands that are already together – they must open before they can clap.

Therefore, the formula for beats is this: up, open, beat, open, finish. The beat rebounds (see Ballet Secret #15dd above), and the finish can be in many different places, but the important thing is that the feet must come apart slightly in the air for the beat to happen.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
Ballet Secret #15vv:
“All beats follow a formula.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Be natural my children. For the writer that is natural has fulfilled all the rules of art."
-Charles Dickens
(His last words, according to Dickens's obituary in The Times.)

            Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are two coloring books! They are available on Amazon.


Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

No comments:

Post a Comment