2 3 Terminology Tuesday Taqueté | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Terminology Tuesday Taqueté



Terminology Tuesday Taqueté

A term I seldom hear is taqueté (tak-TAY). The word means pegged, and is used to describe a series of movements, usually on pointe, that utilize sharp, quick actions of the feet.

I have, however, often heard what I believe is a coloquial version of this word when a choreographer says “tak-tak-tak” when encouraging a dancer to move sharply. Is this an onomatopoeia? (According to Merriam-Webster: “the naming of a thing or action by a vocal imitation of the sound associated with it (such as buzz, hiss); also a word formed by onomatopoeia”.)

Whatever, the word taqueté or the onomatopoeiaic tak-tak-tak means “move quickly and sharply”.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #30b:
Taqueté (tak-TAY) means pegged.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Being smart as a whip includes knowing when not to crack it.”
― Vera NazarianThe Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment