2 3 Terminology Tuesday Fléchir | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Terminology Tuesday Fléchir



Terminology Tuesday Fléchir

The verb fléchir [flay-SHEER] means “to bend or to flex”. For example as in fléchir les genoux which meansbend the knees”.

Now this begs the question, what about “plié”, which dancers are usually told means to bend?  According to https://m.interglot.com/fr/en/pli%C3%A9, plié (the adjective) means crooked, bent, curved or warped. Hmmmm…

But as a noun, according to https://m.interglot.com/fr/en/pli%C3%A9, plié means “a movement in which the knees are bent while the back is held straight”. That’s more like it.

But it still sounds like we could all be doing fléchirs instead of pliés.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Terminology Secret #69:
Fléchir means to bend.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“I believe in the magic and authority of words.”
― René Char

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment