2 3 Throwback Thursday and the Winter Sisters | Ballet Webb

Thursday, October 17, 2019

Throwback Thursday and the Winter Sisters



Throwback Thursday and the Winter Sisters

The three Winter Sisters, Effie, Mae and Dorothy began performing after their father died to earn extra money for the family. They developed a dance, acrobatic and tumbling act and worked in vaudeville during the 1930s and 1940s.

They appeared with Jimmy Durantethe Ink Spots, and Edith Piaf at her premiere US appearance at the Rialto Theatre New York City. They also traveled with Bob Hope’s USO Tour. They performed with many notable entertainers of the day.In addition, they trained to be trick pony riders and performed on Broadway in the production of Jumbo.

One evening in the late 1940s, while appearing at the Conrad Hilton Hotel in Chicago, they received a note backstage. It invited them to meet a man after their performance. It must have been a good meeting because Mae went on to marry him! They had three children and lived in Chicago for more than 40 years.

Effie lived on the outskirts of New York City and Dorothy, the youngest of the three, settled near Gainesville Florida where she taught dance classes for many years.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Dance History Secret #293:
“The three Winter Sisters performed in vaudeville and Broadway.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“It was the sibling thing, I suppose. I was fascinated by the intricate tangle of love and duty and resentment that tied them together. The glances they exchanged; the complicated balance of power established over decades; the games I would never play with rules I would never fully understand. And perhaps that was key: they were such a natural group that they made me feel remarkably singular by comparison. To watch them together was to know strongly, painfully, all that I'd been missing.”
― Kate Morton, The Distant Hours
Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

2 comments:

  1. Delighted to see this. I discovered a film by the Winter Sisters and used it for this video, and I'm more enthralled and intrigued every time I watch it. To think that they're gone now and so alive and full of joy here.

    https://youtu.be/5AMScU_zBvI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate the word "Throwback"

    ReplyDelete