2 3 Terminology Tuesday Piétiner | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Terminology Tuesday Piétiner



Terminology Tuesday Piétiner

A term of the French school, piétiner [pyay-tee-NAY] means to stamp the feet. But it isn’t quite what you might think.

Piétiner applies to movements done on pointe, where the feet “stamp” up and down. It is actually less of a stamping movement and more of an accented stabbing.

One really doesn’t want to think about actually stomping the feet while on pointe. Ouch!

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Terminology Secret #64:
“Piétiner means to stamp the feet.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“When she stamped her foot, it made a strange thud on the desolate beach. Like a heartbeat.”
― David Adams Richards, The Bay of Love and Sorrows

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment