2 3 Mad Monday Sail | Ballet Webb

Monday, October 29, 2018

Mad Monday Sail



Mad Monday Sail

Last week I talked about how the body can be imagined as a ship at anchor. Today I’m continuing the nautical theme and talking about a sailing ship at sea.

Since the human rib cage is slightly wider in the back, when the ribs are correctly aligned the front part of the rib cage never pokes out, but  becomes invisible within the torso. Dancers are aware that the ribs must not poke down or out but align naturally. They should have the sensation of the back of the rib cage expanding outward, which also aids in a correct port de bras.

Therefore, the back of the rib cage can be imagined as the sails of a ship as they fill with air, propelling the craft forward. Think of the air being blown from the front, into the stomach area, up under the rib cage and out into the “sails” of the back.


From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #1aaaa:
“Imagine the back of the ribcage as sails in the wind.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Keep your hand on the helm.”
― Matthew Goldman, The Journals of Constant Waterman: Paddling, Poling, and Sailing for the Love of It

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment