2 3 Saturday Kissing Rituals | Ballet Webb

Saturday, August 18, 2018

Saturday Kissing Rituals



Saturday Kissing Rituals

There are many different rituals dancers employ to (hopefully) ensure a good performance, and often some form of kissing is involved. Here are a few I’ve seen over the years:

-         Kissing the fingers and putting the lipstick mark on center stage
-         Kissing particular fingers, in a particular order
-         Air kissing one’s partner
-         Kissing the floor backstage
-         Kissing the floor onstage
-         Air kissing to no one in particular

And of course there is the familiar kiss seen during a curtain call when the ballerina is presented with a bouquet:
-         Kissing a single rose and presenting it to one’s partner (usually a single rose is separated from the others to make it easier to do this)

But why and how kissing as a good luck ritual originated is a mystery. This article in the New York Times provides and interesting look at kissing in general.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Ritual #135:
“There are many theatrical kissing rituals.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”
― Thomas Jefferson

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment