2 3 Fun Friday Hybrids | Ballet Webb

Thursday, April 26, 2018

Fun Friday Hybrids



Fun Friday Hybrids

Ballet technique is very specific. It has developed over centuries – that’s right – centuries, so there is little left to chance. A step is a step is a step. There are no twenty-first century hybrids.

The definition of hybrid is: “a thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture”. Therefore, a hybrid ballet step would be one that combines two different steps, creating a mixture – one that is not recognized in ballet.

The most common hybrid I see is one I’ll call “chas-lié”. This is a combination of chassé and temps lié, and it is not a legitimate step! It usually happens when the initial plié of a chassé doesn’t occur and the dancer slides the working foot into the second half of a temps lié, producing a hybrid step.

Beware of hybrid steps.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #21ii:
“Beware of hybrid steps.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Time is a created thing. To say 'I don't have time,' is like saying, 'I don't want to.”
― Lao Tzu

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment