2 3 Technical Tuesday Philtrum | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Technical Tuesday Philtrum







Technical Tuesday Philtrum

Now here is a word that most people have never heard of: philtrum. It’s that funny little dent between your nose and your upper lip. It serves no purpose whatsoever, at least so far as science has been able to discover.

So why is it there? In the womb,  the two sides of your face developed independently and then eventually joined in the middle. If something goes wrong and the two sides fail to come together properly, a cleft palate results. This happens in 1 of 750 births. 

The ancient Romans named this little dent: they called it Cupid’s Bow, and the word philtrum itself comes from the Greek word meaning “love potion.”

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
Anatomical Secret #165:
“Your philtrum serves no purpose.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“I will show you a love potion without drug or herb, or any witch's spell; if you wish to be loved, love.”
Charles Lindberg

            Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are two coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

No comments:

Post a Comment