2 3 Saturday Floating Statute | Ballet Webb

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Saturday Floating Statute






Saturday Floating Statute

A common problem for dance students, and even some professionals, is that of the “floating pinky”. That’s when, in any of the five positions of the feet, the pinky toes levitate off the floor, causing the foot to roll forward. Not good!

As per Ballet Statute #113, there are no floating pinkies allowed. Ever. They should never be allowed to hover slightly above the ground. This levitation is often seen during rond de jambes when the working foot passes through first position and the little toes magically lift off the floor.

To prevent this, always feel the pinky making contact with the floor. If the pinky is touching, the rest of the toes will touch, too. I guess you could say that the tiny pinky is powerful in its leadership potential!

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
Ballet Statute #113:
“There are no floating pinkies in any of the five positions.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Ballet shoes... I cannot play with them like they're toys.
But when the music is playing they get deep on my toes.”
Ana Claudia Antunes, The DAO (Dancing As One) Workbook Illustrated

            Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are two coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

No comments:

Post a Comment