2 3 Technical Tuesday Smell | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Technical Tuesday Smell



Technical Tuesday Smell

The word olfactory means “relating to the sense of smell”. The human olfactory system is one of the oldest sensory systems in the history of mammals. A chemical sensor, the olfactory system not only detects food and other scents, it also influences behavior.

In the nose, (the nasal conchae) contains more than 100 million olfactory receptor cells. Thus, it is not surprising that as many as 2 million people in the U.S. have some kind of olfactory dysfunction, ranging from minor to severe.

That being said, most of us have an efficient sense of smell. The only time it shuts down is during REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep. During this time, you can’t smell anything you normally would. That’s why fire alarms are so important – during REM sleep you wouldn’t be able to smell smoke!

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
Anatomical Secret #127:
“You can’t smell anything when you sleep.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
 Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousands of miles and all the years you have lived. The odors of fruits waft me to my southern home, to my childhood frolics in the peach orchard. Other odors, instantaneous and fleeting, cause my heart to dilate joyously or contract with remembered grief. Even as I think of smells, my nose is full of scents that start awake sweet memories of summers gone and ripening fields far away.”
Helen Keller

            Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are two coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

No comments:

Post a Comment