2 3 Technical Tuesday Hyoid Bone | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Technical Tuesday Hyoid Bone







Technical Tuesday Hyoid Bone

Unlike other bones in the skeleton, the hyoid bone doesn’t join to any other bones. It is located between the thyroid cartilage and the chin, at the base of the mandible (see illustration). Although it doesn’t join to other bones, it provides a place for muscular attachment – specifically those of the floor of the mouth, plus the larynx, pharynx, and epiglottis.

The hyoid bone is divided into three parts:  the body of the hyoid, the greater cornua (greater horn), and the lesser cornua (lesser horn).

Like other bones, the hyoid can be broken, but this would require considerable force.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
Anatomical Secret #164:
“The hyoid bone doesn’t join to any other bones.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think”
Socrates

            Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are two coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

2 comments: