2 3 Sunday Believe | Ballet Webb

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Sunday Believe



Sunday Believe

One of my favorite programs was The X-Files. If you are not familiar with it, the series was about the FBI investigating odd or paranormal events, and it was brought back recently in a limited capacity. Anyway, in the office of the lead character was a poster that read “I Want to Believe”.

Many dancers think that way. They don’t really believe in themselves, they only want to believe, and if someone compliments or encourages them (relatively rare in ballet), then they may – briefly – believe in themselves. But it is fleeting.

It is sad how dancers – at least in my experience – are some of the most insecure people on the planet. This helps make them a driven species, but I think it would work much better if dancers had a stronger belief in their own abilities.

How to solve this? I’m not sure. Maybe teachers could be a little more forthcoming when it comes to recognizing accomplishments – and maybe dancers could remember to look at everything they have accomplished instead of focusing only on those things they can’t do – yet.
                                                                       
From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:

Motivational Secret #160  
Do you want to believe?”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“The only person who can pull me down is myself, and I'm not going to let myself pull me down anymore.”
C. JoyBell C.

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:
http://balletconnections.com/DebraWebbRogers


No comments:

Post a Comment