2 3 Marvelous Monday Directions | Ballet Webb

Monday, August 22, 2016

Marvelous Monday Directions




Marvelous Monday Directions

The working leg is permitted to go to three basic places. Except in rond de jambe or circular movements, these positions are absolute and unchanging: front, side and back. I’ve blogged before about these three.

The most problematic one is the side position, or à la seconde, because it is determined by the degree of turn-out a dancer has. Most of the time, this spot is not directly, exactly, to the side. Instead, it is slightly in front of the side seam on the dancer’s leotard.

This past week one of my students gave me a new image for this: the working foot in à la seconde is opposite the arch of the standing foot. Violà! This works too. 

“When you become a teacher, by your pupils you’ll be taught.”

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
Ballet Secret # 3v:
“In à la seconde, the leg is opposite the arch of the standing foot.”

                Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
Benjamin Franklin

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

No comments:

Post a Comment