2 3 Mad Monday Screws and Nails | Ballet Webb

Monday, November 25, 2019

Mad Monday Screws and Nails



Mad Monday Screws and Nails

I’ve talked about turnout and how the legs must operate like two barbershop poles: Ballet Secret #3b: Turn out is constant. Both legs continually rotate outward and upward, in opposite directions, like barbershop poles. I’ve also mentioned how your legs should be like two screws: Ballet Secret # 3w: Imagine your legs as two screws.

Let’s combine these ideas today. In order to have a stable position, particularly on one leg, there needs to be sufficient purchase into and through the floor. While it’s good to think of the legs being as strong as nails, this doesn’t work well for maintaining stability. For that, imagine the threads on a screw.

Like the spiraling of a barbershop pole, the screw threads provide grip that provides a solid base – especially when the dancer is on one leg.

Screws, not nails!

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Ballet Secret #7uuu:
“Imagine your legs as screws not nails”.

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“But screw your courage to the sticking place,
And we'll not fail.”
― William Shakespeare, Macbeth

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment