2 3 Terminology Tuesday Elan | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Terminology Tuesday Elan



Terminology Tuesday Elan

The term élan [ay LAHN] may be familiar to you because it is also used in areas unrelated to ballet. In dance it means the way a dancer attacks a step – whether emotionally, physically or both.

Merriam-Webster defines it as “vigorous spirit or enthusiasm” and Vocabulary.com defines it as “enthusiastic and assured vigor and liveliness” as well as “distinctive and stylish elegance”.

It comes from the French word meaning “to dart”.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #50:
“The term élan means manner of attack.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Fashions fade, style is eternal.”
― Yves Saint Laurent

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment