2 3 Terminology Tuesday Marquer | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Terminology Tuesday Marquer



Terminology Tuesday Marquer

The French word marquer (mar-KAY) means: “Distinguish, make recognizable by means of a mark of a landmark”, or “Make an impression strong enough to leave a memory.”

In Gail Grant’s book Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet she defines marquer as: “To stamp, to mark the accents in a step. Also to mark or “walk through” the steps of an enchaînement or variation.”

Now you know why we “mark through it” when learning a new combination.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Terminology Secret #31:
Marquer means to make known or emphasize.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“The past beats inside me like a second heart.” 
― 
John Banville, The Sea

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment