2 3 Terminology Tuesday Grecque | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Terminology Tuesday Grecque



Terminology Tuesday Grecque

Attitude grecque [ah tee TEWD grek] means Greek attitude. I don’t remember ever hearing this term used but it is interesting.

Attitude grecque is when the heel of the working foot actually touches the knee (or ankle) of the supporting leg. The thigh is opened to second position. (This sounds like the traditional piqué turn en dedans position to me).
The arm on the supporting side is overhead, and the other curved opposite the waist. But wait, it gets better.

The head is in profile and the body leans toward the raised leg. And, according to Gail Grant’s book Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet: “Pirouettes may also be done in this position but in this case the head does not spot.”

There’s your challenge for the day.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Terminology Secret #33:
“Attitude grecque means Greek attitude.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“I have an attraction to strange
and unusual things.
I find them interesting,
spellbinding,
utterly fascinating.”
― Melody Lee, Moon Gypsy

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment