2 3 Saturday Running Superstition | Ballet Webb

Saturday, August 24, 2019

Saturday Running Superstition



Saturday Running Superstition

A dance superstition I witnessed was running laps around the stage. It probably started as a way to warm up right before curtain, but for many dancers it became a ritual.

Every dancer who does this seems to have developed their own set of rules for having it produce a good performance. Running clockwise, or counterclockwise; or running a set number of laps.

This is usually done in costume, right before the curtain goes up. And of course it is done very quietly. I guess that’s why I usually saw male dancers doing it – not the women in pointe shoes.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Superstition #168:
“Running laps around the stage is thought to assure a good performance.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Coffee in the dawn
With books open like our hearts,
Our weekend ritual”
― Eric Overby, 17: Haiku Poems

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment