2 3 Wild Wednesday Back Up | Ballet Webb

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Wild Wednesday Back Up



Wild Wednesday Back Up

In positions like attitude derrière and arabesque, a common problem is dropping the upper body (chest) down as the leg goes up. Unless one is performing a penchè, this is not good.

It is important to lift the chest up and slightly forward as the working leg lifts. This slightly forward alignment provides a counterweight to the working leg as does the slight forward shift in weight over the supporting leg.

It is also important to guard against moving the upper body backwards, as this crunches (ouch!) the arch of the back instead of elongating it.


From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #18q:
“Keep the chest up, not back, in attitude and arabesque.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Summer afternoon—summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.”
― Henry James

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment