2 3 Terminology Tuesday Ouverture de Jambe | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Terminology Tuesday Ouverture de Jambe


Terminology Tuesday Ouverture de Jambe

Ouverture de jambe [oo-vehr-TEWR duh zhahnb] is a term of the French school. It means opening of the leg. It is very similar to a grand rond de jambe en l’air, but instead of being a slow movement that begins with a développé, ouverture de jambe is a quick, continuous movement that starts from grand quatrième devant or derrière.

This step is often seen in grand battement combinations, and I have seldom heard ouverture de jambe used. The movement is often simply demonstrated or described as a grand battement rond de jambe or something similar.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #39:
“Ouverture de jambe means opening of the leg.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“One mustn't refuse the unusual, if it is offered to one.”
― Agatha Christie, Passenger to Frankfurt

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:


For interesting articles involving mental health:


No comments:

Post a Comment