2 3 Mad Monday Myth | Ballet Webb

Monday, April 15, 2019

Mad Monday Myth




Mad Monday Myth

I am starting a new topic about balletic myths. The things you hear that may not be absolutely true. Maybe completely false.

Here’s the first ballet myth:“If you did it once you can do it again.” Hmmm. That sounds great and it seems completely logical. That’s what I thought when I first heard it from my teachers. But, like everything in ballet, it isn’t that simple.

If I did five pirouettes on pointe for the first time, this myth would indicate that now I’ll be able to do five pirouettes every single time, all the time. But no. It doesn’t work like that. There are simply too many variables.

Of course, doing five pirouettes once does increase the likelihood of it happening again – maybe once every 100 or so tries. With practice, it will become one time in 50, then 25…etc. So in that sense, the myth is true.

But just doing it once does not mean that you’ll immediately and forevermore be able to do it. That's the myth.


From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Ballet Myth #1a:
“If you did it once you can do it again.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“A myth is a way of making sense in a senseless world. Myths are narrative patterns that give significance to our existence.”
― Rollo May

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment