2 3 Fun Friday Territory | Ballet Webb

Friday, June 15, 2018

Fun Friday Territory



Fun Friday Territory

In some places, dancers “claim” a particular space, or territory at the barre. They often defend it vigorously if this is not frowned upon by the management. This territorial behavior is so common that dancers learn to ask “Is this someone’s space?” before parking themselves and/or their stuff at the barre.

I’m not sure how I feel about this. Humans are, by nature, creatures of habit – which is why dance training works so well. We are more comfortable in a familiar space, so I understand why dancers tend to gravitate to the same place every day. And most of us do.

But defending one’s space by asking (or demanding) that someone move elsewhere shouldn’t happen. Kindness dictates that something so trivial shouldn’t  be cause for bad behavior and if someone (usually a stranger or new student) inadvertently stands in “your” space, it doesn’t hurt to let them.

Kindness and compassion rule.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #28c:
“Some dancers have their particular space at the barre.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Do your little bit of good where you are; it's those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.”
― Desmond Tutu

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:



No comments:

Post a Comment