2 3 Technical Tuesday Bourrée | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Technical Tuesday Bourrée


Technical Tuesday Bourrée
One of the most interesting steps in ballet is the bourrée. This series of tiny steps done in sequence, usually on pointe, creates an incredible illusion: it makes the dancer appear to be floating. Add a little mist from dry ice and it heightens the illusion, as in the ballet Giselle.
The secret to beautiful bourrées requires keeping the feet close together (maintaining the fifth position), and moving the feet rapidly. It is also essential that the knees be relaxed (I’ve blogged about this before). The propulsion is usually provided by the push of the back foot in fifth position.
The word “bourrée” means “overstuffed” and that is a pretty accurate way to describe the amount of tiny steps required to achieve a floating illusion.  

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
Ballet Secret #32p:
“Bourrée means overstuffed.”

                Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
"I suspended my disbelief, and left it floating in mid air.”
― Jarod Kintz


                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!  

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

            Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

No comments:

Post a Comment