2 3 Saturday Sandbags | Ballet Webb

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Saturday Sandbags


Saturday Sandbags

Holding tension in the neck and upper body is a common problem for many dancers.  This usually causes a lift in the shoulders and makes the lovely elongated neck necessary for a beautiful line disappear.  It is also an indication that the student is working with too much tension.

There are many images that can be useful for lowering the shoulders.  Long earrings and a parrot are two that I have featured previously on this blog.  But since this is an important subject, I offer yet another one:  sandbags.

Imagine a large, heavy sandbag balanced on each shoulder.  Feel the weight.  As this sensation of weight presses the shoulders down, feel a lift from the top of the head that elongates the spine.  There!  Instantly better posture by the use of imaginary sandbags!


From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:

Secret #1bb:  
To prevent lifting the shoulders imagine a sandbag on each shoulder.”

                Link of the Day:


Quote of the Day:

Books aren’t just my defenses, the sandbags I use to fortify my position; they are also the building blocks of my soul, and I am the sum of all I read.” 


                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment