2 3 Sunday Musings | Ballet Webb

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday Musings

Sunday Musings
Today’s "Quote of the Day" at the bottom, makes me think about dancers, and the process they go through on a daily basis.  For each student who “takes ballet”, only about 1-2% will ever make it a career.  And often, the remaining 98% spend the better part of their youth striving to make it into the professional world, but do not reach their goal.
This is not as sad as it sounds.  The process of dance training is every bit as important and beneficial as the end goal.  I often ask my students why they want to be a professional dancer.  There is no big paycheck associated with it, little fame (if any), and by age 40, if not sooner, a performing career is usually over.  So why do it?
The answer, of course, is the sheer love of the art form.  Or, I believe that should be the answer.  Fame and glory are not part of the deal, and a dance student should not expect that kind of reward.  But the process of striving for a goal, the determination to overcome obstacles, the discipline to show up on time and dressed appropriately - these are just a few of the things that dance training provides.  And unlike a performing career, these things last a lifetime. 

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:

Motivational Secret #18 
“The process of dance training provides benefits way beyond the goal of a performing career.”


                Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:

“In some cases we learn more by looking for the answer to a question than we do from learning the answer itself.”
-Lloyd Alexander
 Author of more than 30 children’s books


                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment