2 3 Wild Wednesday Rigid Wrist | Ballet Webb

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Wild Wednesday Rigid Wrist



Wild Wednesday Rigid Wrist

An often overlooked area in dance involves the wrists. How often have you heard anything about this area of the arms and hands? I thought so. Unless there is undue tension and/or extreme flexing you hear little about them.

That’s too bad because the wrists are important for the execution of lovely port de bras. The wrists allow beautiful, lyrical movement. Try doing any port de bras with rigid or flexed wrists and you’ll see what I mean.

The wrists are never rigid and/or locked into position, instead, they move in a subtle, but definite way, following the lead the hands in whatever port de bras is being performed. The best way to see this is to watch videos of dancers with lovely port de bras. You’ll notice that the wrists aren’t rigidly held, nor are they overly flexed.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Secret #6ppp:
“The wrists are gently moveable, never rigid.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Тhe gentle overcomes the rigid.”
― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment