2 3 Terminology Tuesday Faux | Ballet Webb

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Terminology Tuesday Faux



Terminology Tuesday Faux

A term of the French school, faux entrechat cinq ramassé [foh zahn-truh-SHAH senk ra-ma-SAY] is quite a mouthful and I’m sure that’s why I’ve never heard it used in class.

It means “false entrechat cinq picked up”. This step is the same as sisssonne fermée (a sissonne that closes) according to Gail Grant’s ballet terminology book. I find this interesting since the words seem to imply a step that includes beats – entrechat cinq being a step where the legs perform five beats. But the word faux, meaning false, would indicate that there are no beats. Hmmm. But it gets better. The English translation of ramassé can mean not only “picked up” but also “squat” and “stocky”.

To go a step further (no pun intended) ramasser un gadin means “to fall flat on one’s face”.

Interesting, isn’t it?

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Terminology Secret #40:
“Faux entrechat cinq ramassé is the same as a sissonne fermée.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“I like good strong words that mean something…”
― Louisa May Alcott, Little Women

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment