2 3 Superstitious Saturday Dark | Ballet Webb

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Superstitious Saturday Dark



Superstitious Saturday Dark

One saying I never heard in the dance world is this one: Saying  “Thank you dark” as a response to a technical director or stage manager warning “Going dark”, meaning the lights are about to be turned off.

Apparently this is a theatrical tradition and can also include saying “Thank you ____” to whatever instruction or information is given to the performers from the crew or stage manager.

I couldn’t find much about this practice online, but it seems obvious that it is designed both to warn performers and let the stage manager know the instruction was heard.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Ballet Secret #196:
The phrase “thank you dark” is said in response to “Going dark”.

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.”
― Mark Twain

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment