2 3 Superstitious Saturday Nutcracker | Ballet Webb

Saturday, December 14, 2019

Superstitious Saturday Nutcracker



Superstitious Saturday Nutcracker

As a child, I remember being somewhat baffled by the gift of a nutcracker (in the ballet). I thought more along the lines of a beautiful doll being such a coveted present for a young girl. But what did I know?

It turns out that in German folklore, nutcrackers are believed to bring good luck and serve as a protection against evil spirits. They are often given as Christmas gifts to children for these reasons.

Now it all makes sense!

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Superstitious Secret #185:
“In Germany, nutcrackers are believed to bring good luck.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Oh!” exclaimed Marie at last, “who does the charming little fellow in the tree belong to, dearest Papa?”
“He should work hard for all of you, dear child,” her father replied. “He can bite the hardest of nuts and crack them open for you, and he belongs to Luise as much as to you and Fritz.”
― E.T.A. Hoffmann, The Nutcracker and The Mouse King

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment