2 3 Fun Friday Ifs, Ands and Butts | Ballet Webb

Friday, December 6, 2019

Fun Friday Ifs, Ands and Butts



Fun Friday Ifs, Ands and Butts

Here is a fun way to remember three ways to improve your pirouettes: no ifs ands or butts. And no, that last one is not a spelling error.

First of all, there are no ifs. You don’t want negative thoughts churning in your brain before a turn, like what “if” I fall? Or, what “if” I hit a slick spot on the floor? You know what I mean. Those pesky negatives are good at creeping in and you must do your best to keep them out.

Now for the ands. Earlier this week I talked about avoiding embellishments, (especially with the arms). These “ands” are unnecessary additions to the technique and will undermine the success of your pirouettes. One common “and” is winding up (like a corkscrew) in the preparation. Not helpful at all.

Finally, do not lead the turn with your derrière (butt). This usually happens at the depth of the plié, when the pelvis tilts back, making the seat go out. This is usually an attempt (consciously or unconsciously) to achieve more push but it is ineffective, to say the least. No butts, please.


From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Ballet Secret #14qqq:
“For pirouettes, no ifs ands or butts.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“You’re worried about what-ifs. Well, what if you stopped worrying?”
― Shannon Celebi, Driving Off Bridges

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment