2 3 Super Saturday Spotting Statute | Ballet Webb

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Super Saturday Spotting Statute






Super Saturday Spotting Statute

Dancers are a creative, inventive bunch. Unfortunately, this doesn’t always work in their favor. Especially when they decide to invent their own way of doing things. This is not a good idea in an area as codified as classical ballet.

Spotting is a prime example. I’ve had students tell me they “can’t spot”, or “I don’t need to spot”. Scary. Spotting was invented for a reason, not as an embellishment.

Spotting serves more than one purpose. It provides the necessary rhythm for the turn, it allows the dancer to focus and thus eliminate or minimize dizziness, plus, it makes the turns look clean. All good reasons to spot.

Spotting was invented for a reason!

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
Ballet Statute #103:
“ Spotting was invented for a reason.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Humor is reason gone mad.”
Groucho Marx

            Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are two coloring books! They are available on Amazon.


Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

No comments:

Post a Comment