2 3 Wild Wednesday Floor | Ballet Webb

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Wild Wednesday Floor


Wild Wednesday Floor
I’ve blogged several times about using the floor, using “under-circles”, etc. But the floor is important! It is a giant technical aid, used much like a weight lifter uses weights: for resistance training.
This is most evident early in the barre, during tendues. There is a downward pressure in each tendu, with the floor providing the resistance needed for the dancer to develop strength in the muscles of the foot, particularly the ones underneath, on the sole.
If a dancer just skims the floor, there is little benefit. There must always be a resistance, a downward push, in order to develop strength and technique.
Floor power! 

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets:
Ballet Secret #7fff 
“The floor is used for resistance, like a weight-lifter uses weights.”

                Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:

“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.”
Albert Camus

                Help expand the knowledge base!
 Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!  

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

            Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

No comments:

Post a Comment