2 3 Superstitious Saturday Chopsticks | Ballet Webb

Saturday, February 15, 2020

Superstitious Saturday Chopsticks



Superstitious Saturday Chopsticks

Last week I talked about the Japanese saying for good luck monku monku monku. Today it’s another Japanese superstition – one I’d never heard of.

Apparently it is bad luck to place your chopsticks straight up – like in a bowl of rice. This looks like the Japanese number 4 which is an unlucky number. In addition sticking chopsticks straight up looks like incense sticks used at funerals. But wait there’s more! Never point your chopsticks at anyone – it’s considered rude and ill-mannered.

So especially if you eat in a Japanese restaurant before a performance, remember these tips.

From the Big Blue Book of Ballet Secrets
Superstitious Secret #194:
“Never stick your chopsticks straight up.”

Link of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“Marriage is like twirling a baton, turning hand springs or eating with chopsticks. It looks easy until you try it.”
― Helen Rowland

Help expand the knowledge base!
Leave a comment about any instructions, ideas, or images that worked best for you!

My latest books are coloring books! They are available on Amazon.

Want to know more about me? Read my interview at Ballet Connections:

Or "Like" me on my Facebook Author Page:

Or visit my Pinterest page:

For interesting articles involving mental health:

No comments:

Post a Comment